Snowmass Village, Colo., (December 4, 2017) — The 2017/2018 winter season marks the 50th anniversary of Snowmass Ski Area, and with it comes the revitalization of Banana Days. A time-honored tradition that started in 1985, Banana Days returns to Snowmass on Saturday, December 16th. Banana Days is a series of four scavenger hunts on the mountain, in Base Village, and on the Snowmass Mall, that takes guests on a wacky and wild adventure in search of 1,967 plastic bananas containing prizes such as gift certificates, adventure packages, ski demos, etc., and, for the truly dedicated, a Grand Banana Scavenger Hunt for three grand prizes.
“With 1,967 prizes around the mountain there will be tons of fun and tons of winners,” says Rose Abello, Tourism Director, Snowmass Tourism. “The community has really embraced the event and have provided some spectacular, valuable, and diverse prizes.”
There are four ways to participate in Banana Days –
- For the casual participant, several hundred bananas can be found strewn across open terrain and Snowmass Mall and Base Village, no clues needed, starting at 8:30 a.m. when the lifts open.
- Prizes include t-shirts, hats, logo’ d merchandise, cash, dining certificates, and more.
- The Grand Banana Scavenger Hunt kicks off at 10:00 a.m. in Base Village with the first clue broadcast on KSPN, a nod to the 1980’s Banana Days, where clues were broadcast only via the radio. The Grand Banana Scavenger Hunt leads anyone with an affinity for riddles, puns, and Snowmass history all over Snowmass Ski Area, Snowmass Mall, and Base Village for a chance to win the Grand Banana Prizes.
- A three night, all-inclusive stay at the Galley Bay Resort & Spa in Antigua. The trip is based on double occupancy and some restrictions do apply. Airfare is not included.
- A $2,500 gift card to Gorsuch
- Two weekend passes to JAS Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience 2018
- Follow on social for more top prizes! Guests can win other valuable prizes by following clues on local radio station KSPN 103.1, and by following #BananaDays on @AspenSojourner and @Snowmass’ Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Clues will be announced starting at 10:00 a.m., first on KSPN followed by social media. All clues will also be posted on GoSnowmass.com/bananadays.
- Prizes including ski demos and lessons, gift certificates for food & drinks at Snowmass restaurants, outdoor adventures and clothing, and more.
- A smaller scavenger hunt for kids 12 and under will also take place at 10:00 a.m. and last throughout the day. Children can pick up a kid’s trail map and clue guide at the Lift Ticket Pavilion on the Snowmass Mall and Base Village, as well as at the Treehouse Adventure Center. All children will receive a prize upon completion of the scavenger hunt.
All bananas will contain a certificate number and information on how to redeem. Guests can redeem their bananas for prizes at the Lift Ticket Pavilion on the Snowmass Mall between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. on December 16.
Culminate Banana Days at Gwyn’s High Alpine with a party worthy of the Banana Days of old, starting at 1:30 p.m. Celebrate with Carmen Miranda style costumes, banana drinks, tropical foods, and live music by the Damien Smith Duo. Be sure to check out the rest of Snowmass’ 50th anniversary happenings on Saturday, including an Après Ski Party in Base Village from 1:00-4:00 p.m., $19.67 and/or $50 specials at participating restaurants and retailers, and much more. For the full weekend schedule, please visit www.gosnowmass.com/event/snowmass-50th-anniversary/.
To follow along as Snowmass celebrate 50 years, please follow @Snowmass and #Snowmass50. For more information on the Snowmass 50th Anniversary, please visit www.gosnowmass.com/50-years.
About Snowmass Village, Colorado – A renowned winter playground and vibrant mountain community just 9 miles from downtown Aspen, Snowmass consistently ranks as one of the best ski areas in the world and was listed as the #4 resort in the west by SKI Magazine in 2018. Celebrating 50 years of operations during the 2017/2018 ski season and part of Aspen Snowmass, Snowmass Ski Area offers guests 3,332 acres of multi-level terrain and boasts the second largest vertical drop in the United States. 95% ski-in/ski-out lodging, over 35 restaurants, numerous shops and boutiques, a bounty of off-piste activities, and a friendly, small town feel beckon visitors year-round. For more information and a complete calendar of events and activities, please visit: www.gosnowmass.com.
About Galley Bay Resort & Spa – Galley Bay Resort Antigua, an intimate, Caribbean hideaway, delights guests with its refined, unpretentious atmosphere and its relaxing, all-inclusive vacation packages. Its glimmering turquoise seascapes and lush gardens create a relaxing, natural setting for those who want to decompress and escape from the world. The focal point is our three-quarter-mile Antigua white sand beach on the clear, warm Caribbean, where you can recline in the shade of a palm tree, soak up the sun or enjoy a refreshing swim and complimentary non-motorized water-sports. Galley Bay was named in the “Top 100 resorts of the World” and among the “Top 10 Best Resorts for Romance in the Caribbean” by the readers of TripAdvisor.com. For more information, please visit www.galleybayresort.com. For photos, please visit the Galley Bay Dropbox.
About Gorsuch – An Aspen/Snowmass tradition and a family business offering the very finest for sport, skiing and mountain living. The Gorsuch lifestyle is defined by two of the most beautiful vistas in the world – the Alps, where we find endless inspiration and the Colorado Rockies where we make our home. www.gorsuch.com/
Snowmass Tourism Media Contact: Sara Stookey, Public Relations Coordinator, Snowmass Tourism, 970-922-2285 or sstookey@SnowmassTourism.com.
# # #