Snowmass Village, Colo., (March 27, 2018) – This summer, Snowmass continues to expand its varied summer offerings, activities, and adventures for guests of all ages. Summer 2018 sees the addition of 4.8 miles of new biking trails (adding to over 80 miles of dirt and paved trails), a new pool and poolside restaurant at the Viceroy Snowmass, new summer events and festivals, and the debut of the Lost Forest, a new on-mountain activity center which includes adventures such as an alpine coaster, zip line, ropes course and more, while bringing guests closer to nature.
The Lost Forest fully debuts in Snowmass this summer. The Lost Forest is a new on-mountain activity center featuring the Breathtaker Alpine Coaster, which opened in December 2017 and features a 5,700 foot track that winds through the trees at speeds of up to 28 miles per hour; the Canopy Run Zipline, which includes a three hour rappelling and zipline tour with eight ziplines up to 90 feet off the ground; and the Treeline Trail Challenge Course, which includes five paths (ranging from beginner, medium, and difficult) up to 40 feet in the air. The Lost Forest opens on June 22, 2018. A new Rugged Ascent Climbing Wall, 40 feet tall with 14 auto belays and up to 50 routes designed by El Dorado Climbing Wall Company out of Boulder, adds to the fun in late August 2018. Lost Forest is open daily from 10:00am-4:00pm. Click here for more information.
New Biking & Hiking Trails
Snowmass Bike Park continues the trail expansion that began last summer. For 2018, a new 4.8 mile intermediate trail from the top of the Elk Camp Chair will be constructed, along with a new expert jump trail on the lower section of the mountain. These new additions are slated to come online late this summer. Snowmass Bike Park is open until dusk on select Tuesdays throughout the year, giving guests the chance to experience new trails at different times of the day. Summer 2018 marks the first full summer of new trails on the west side of Snowmass, including a new discovery climbing trail and the newly re-routed Village Bound Trail, which connect to the recently constructed Campground Connector. These trails provide multi-directional travel options for beginner to intermediate riders.
Hikers can enjoy new alignments for the Rabbit Run and Sierra Loop trails in the Elk Camp area this summer.
New & Notable Summer Events
- 45th Anniversary of the Snowmass Rodeo – Wednesdays, June 13-August 22: Summer 2018 marks the 45th anniversary season of the Snowmass Rodeo, the longest continuously running rodeo in the state.
- Fridays on the Mall – June 15-August 17: New for summer 2018, kick off the weekend on the Snowmass Mall with music, extended business hours, local artisans, food & drink specials, and more.
- AdventureOUT – July 4-8: New for summer 2018, AdventureOUT Snowmass brings the LGBTQ community together for a weekend of summer adventure, from hiking to biking, to white water rafting. AdventureOUT Snowmass features a different spin on the Aspen Gay Ski Week Experience, with an emphasis on building community and getting out into nature. AdventureOUT benefits local nonprofit, AspenOUT.
- Yeti Tribe – July 27-29: New for summer 2018, Yeti Tribe is a gathering of Yeti bike owners and enthusiasts who come together for a weekend of camping, single track trail riding, and community in Snowmass Village.
- New Belgium Ranger Station 5K – Run for Beer! Presented by CO Brewery Running Series – August 12: New for summer 2018, the Colorado Brewery Running Series, a Denver based series, debuts its first mountain destination trail fun run. The New Belgium Ranger Station 5k – Run for Beer! event consists of a 5k trail run starting and ending on the Snowmass Mall, followed by a post beer party at the New Belgium Ranger Station.
- Tough Mudder – August 25-26: Tough Mudder returns to Snowmass after a one year hiatus. The 2018 Tough Mudder Colorado weekend marks the eighth in company history in Colorado and the third at Snowmass. The weekend features three events – Tough Mudder Half (5 miles/10+ obstacles), Tough Mudder Full (10 miles/20+ obstacles), and Tougher Mudder, (10 miles/competitive race wave).
- Septemberfest & new cider festival – September 8: New for the 2018 season, a new cider festival joins Septemberfest in a celebration of all things fall. The festival features hard cider tastings from 25-30 vendors from all over the country on the Snowmass Village Mall. The second annual Septemberfest returns to Base Village with wine and sake tastings, food vendors, children’s activities, music, and more, all culminating with the Night Glow Balloon Show.
Other news for summer 2018
Anderson Ranch – Anderson Ranch offers over 140 art workshops each summer in 8 artistic disciplines. New for this summer are Tech Workshops for kids and free guest faculty lectures on Tuesdays and Sundays from June 3-September 18. The Visiting Artists Program returns with free lectures open to the public. Visiting Artists for the 2018 summer season include:
- Steven and William Ladd – June 8-June 22
- Enrique Martinez Celaya – July 2-July 6
- Adam Savage, former host of “Mythbusters” – July 2-July 13
- Trevor Paglan – July 16-July 20
- David Ellsworth – July 30-August 3
Viceroy Snowmass – Viceroy Snowmass will complete a $4 million renovation in 2018. This winter a major refresh of the lobby, fitness center, coffee bar and restaurant, which opened as Toro Kitchen & Lounge by Chef Richard Sandoval debuted. Renovation of the Viceroy’s pool area, which includes two new spa pools, is slated to be completed in the fall. Once the work is done, Nest, the Viceroy’s casual restaurant and bar, will relocate slopeside.
Upcoming: Snowmass Base Village
Located at the base of Snowmass Ski Area in the heart of Snowmass Village, Colorado, Snowmass Base Village (SBV) is a $600 million mountain-resort development – the largest currently under construction in North America. This project will add lodging, residences and amenities to the world-class mountain and resort. Scheduled to open for the 2018/19 winter season is the Limelight Snowmass, ski-in/ski-out residences, a public events plaza, and a community building.
Limelight Snowmass Hotel and Residences – Opening November 2018
Fun, unfussy luxury with an energetic vibe, the Limelight Snowmass will feature 99 hotel rooms, an indoor/outdoor lounge area, a five-story climbing wall that is open to the public – the largest of its kind in the state – a fitness center, kids’ room and outdoor spas and deck. There will also be 11 free-market Limelight Residences. The development will also serve as the site for the Snowmass Mountain Club, an exclusive private club offering members parking, ski valet, lockers and a lounge area for convenient ski access, as well as social programming to enjoy all Snowmass’ mountain activities.
Public Events Plaza – Opening November 2018
The public events Plaza will serve as a gathering area for SBV and the entire community, with an ice skating rink in winter and events lawn in summer. Concerts and outdoor events will be held in this area, which also features seating areas around fire pits, children’s pop-up fountains and more.
Lumin – Opening Winter 2018-19
Lumin is SBV’s most exclusive address, with three private-access residences featuring contemporary alpine design. Located steps from the Elk Camp Gondola offering effortless access to Snowmass Ski Resort slopes and activities.
Getting to Snowmass
Aspen/Snowmass Airport (ASE) is one of the most convenient mountain resort airports in Colorado, located only six miles from Snowmass with nonstop service by American, Delta, and United Airlines from Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Salt Lake City, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Denver. Delta added new flights into Aspen Snowmass (ASE) this spring with twice daily nonstop flights from Salt Lake City (SLC). Salt Lake City offers convenient connections from nearly all points of the compass including west coast destinations from Seattle to San Diego, Hawaii, Cabo and Cancun in Mexico, Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto in Canada, New York/JFK, and dozens of east coast destinations from Boston to Florida, in addition to London, Paris and Amsterdam in Europe. American Airlines continues to offer daily service from DFW year round, offering one-stop connections from Asia, Australia, South America, Europe and the Middle East through its One World alliance partners. United Airlines offers direct flights this summer from Denver, Chicago, Houston, LAX, and SFO, with new daily nonstop Boeing 787 Dreamliner service between Denver and London/Heathrow, which began March 24. Snowmass is an easy 3.5 hour drive from Denver International Airport, as well as a great road trip destination.
For more information on Snowmass, please visit www.gosnowmass.com. For summer photos, please click here. Please credit the photographer listed.
About Snowmass Village, Colorado – A renowned winter playground and vibrant summer community just 9 miles from downtown Aspen, Snowmass consistently ranks as one of the best ski areas in the world and was listed by USA Today as one of the 25 fastest-growing vacation destinations in 2017. Snowmass offers guests incredible views of mountain vistas, in addition to 2.8 million adjacent acres, open for activities and exploration. Snowmass offers a wide variety of outdoor activities, over 30 restaurants, 95 percent on-slope lodging, world-class shopping, unique special events and music – all year round. For more information and a complete calendar of events and activities, please visit: www.gosnowmass.com.
Snowmass Tourism Media Contact: Sara Stookey Sanchez, Public Relations Coordinator, Snowmass Tourism, 970-922-2285 or sstookey@SnowmassTourism.com.
# # #